Sunday, March 25, 2012

Celtic Crosses

I have always loved Celtic crosses.



There is just something so appealing to me about them, whether they are the massive, intricately carved stones that are used as a grave marker, or a delicate filigree pendant worn around the neck. I suppose it is because of their beauty, and because I am half Irish.

Although essentially all the same shape, the cross with the circle around it, they are all so different from one another, with the knot work, spirals, key patterns, meandering patterns, and sometimes even human or animal figures. Some are very crude and primitive, while others are overly ornate. The wide variation of styles, coupled with their rich history and how they are interpreted, are the reason Celtic crosses are very often a popular choice for both jewelry and tattoos.


While browsing for photos of Celtic crosses, I came across this wonderful website which goes into detail about the history and symbolism of Celtic crosses, as well as Celtic knotwork in general.


Here are some other examples of  Celtic crosses:

~ celtic cross ~ 

Men's Celtic Cross Necklace 


 


Wall Hanging Celtic Cross 


 Celtic Cross, Killarney Ireland




Red and Gold Celtic Cross (CCH1) - glass tile pendant
{source}

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Linking to:
A bowl full of lemons


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jackie, I enjoyed seeing your celtic crosses. Our town has a beautiful war memorial in the shape of a large celtic cross, with engravings on the base honoring the soldiers. Thanks for the website link--I'm heading over now to see It! Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you!