Thursday, March 22, 2012

Words in Mini Frames

Hi everyone!
Well I was going to do a little project this weekend, but I was anxious to see how it would turn out, so this is how I spent my afternoon today.

I blogged here about my trip to Goodwill this morning, and how I found these 5 cute little mini frames:

Three of them were 50 cents, and two were 25 cents...so $2.00 total for the 'set'.

The inspiration for doing this craft came from seeing this adorable Mini Framed Spring post on Courtney's blog, A Diamond in the Stuff:
 
So cute, right?

Well I decided that I wanted to make my own version, but it wasn't until I got home that I realized that I had only gotten 5 frames. I tried to think of another word that I could use...but nothing came to mind. Until I remember that my last name had 5 letters..ha!

The first thing I did was to disassemble them. I took the frames into my disaster area of a garage, and spray painted them all with a matte black spray paint:

I already had the spray paint from other projects...so this cost me nothing.
It took 2 thin coats to cover them completely.

While the frames were drying, I cleaned up the glass for each of them, and using Picnik, decided what fonts to use for each of the letters.

Here are the frames all freshly painted. I'm not sure why, but I really prefer a matte black finish for frames instead of a glossy coat.
The frames dried nicely and covered well, except for the one I dropped on the floor while bringing them into my kitchen to work at my counter. (I really need a crafting space/area). The one I dropped landed just right so there was a tiny area on one corner that the paint got scuffed off, so I had go BACK into the garage and fix it...all the while mumbling and cursing.


When I made the Cookie Sheet Bulletin Board, I had gone to Walmart and bought a book of scrapbook paper, so I got that out, and chose 5 different patterns of paper that I wanted to use. Again, this was no cost since it was something I already had.

As I said earlier, I used Picnik to choose which fonts I wanted to use for the letters, and I printed out a different letter on each piece of paper. (I really need a Cricut) Then using the glass from each frame as a guide, I cut out the letters using a utility knife.

Notice how crooked the edges are? I can't cut paper.

I mean I can cut paper....I just can't cut it correctly. Ever.

It doesn't matter what I am cutting....even if I just put the scissors to the paper and make ONE cut.....it comes out crooked!! It's all curvy and wonky and looks like I flunked the cutting and pasting class in kindergarten. 
I know it MUST have something to do with my being left handed. There's simply no other explanation I can come up with. See how there is even a kind of grid patter on the paper above? Doesn't matter. And using the utility knife was an even bigger adventure. I know you're probably thinking.....left-handed scissors. Nope. After using normal scissors all my life, the expensive left-handed ones I have feel just horrible in my hand, and I do an even WORSE job with them, because the paper cuts on the opposite side of the blades. *sigh*

Ok enough of that. 

So after I have all of the letters printed and I schlep my way through the cutting process, I assemble all of the frames back together. Here is a close up of the first letter:

Again the total cost for this project was $2.00...what I paid for the frames. Everything else I used was something I already had.

I am planning on making one wall in my living room a gallery wall with family photos. I thought these little frames would look cute on a floating shelf somewhere mixed with the other, larger photos. For now though, for the sake of taking a photo of the finished project, they sit here on my kitchen shelf:


I like how they turned out, and when I find more little frames I might redo this for my grandson using brighter, bolder colors.

Thanks so much for stopping by to take a look. You are more than welcome to leave a comment, I love hearing from everyone.

Have a wonderful day!

Linking to:
{aka} design ~ 2805 ~ 30 Handmade DaysA bowl full of lemons ~ A Glimpse Inside ~ A Little TipsyAddicted 2 Decorating ~ At Home With KAt The Picket Fence ~ Be Different Act Normal ~ Between Naps on the PorchBoogieboard CottageBrassy Apple ~ Cherished Handmade TreasuresChic on a Shoestring Decorating ~ Coastal Charm ~ Confessions of a Stay At Home MommyC.R.A.F.T. ~ Craft-O-Maniac ~ Debbie Does CreationsDelightful Order ~ DIY by DesignDIY Showoff ~ Elizabeth & CoFingerprints on the Fridge ~ Fireflies and Jellybeans ~ Five Days 5 Ways ~ French Country Cottage ~ Funky Junk Interiors ~ Funky Polkadot Giraffe ~ Handy Man, Crafty WomanHappy Hour Projects ~ Here Comes the Sun ~ home happy homeHome Savvy A To Z ~ homeworkHouse of Hepworths ~ House of GraceI Gotta Create! ~ I Heart Nap Time ~ It All Started With PaintIt's Overflowing ~ It's So Very Cheri ~ Just a Party with My Peeps ~ Kammy's Korner ~ little becky homecky ~  live laugh rowe ~ love notes by laurynMy 1929 Charmer ~ My Girlish WhimsMy Repurposed Life ~ My Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaNo Minimalist Here ~ Not Just A HousewifeOne Artsy Mama ~ Our Delightful HomePetite HerminePositively SplendidRadCrafter ~ Randee's Organized ChaosSassy Sites! ~ Saved by Suzy ~ Savvy  ~ School House Scraps ~ Serendipity and SpiceSerenity Now ~ Sew Can DoSew Many Ways ~ Singing Three Little Birds ~ Skip To My LouSomeday Crafts ~ Southern LovelySouthern Style ~ Stuff and Nonsense ~ Sugar and DotsSugar Bee CraftsSumo's Sweet Stuff ~ Tea Rose HomeThe 36th Avenue ~ The Blackberry Vine ~ The Brambleberry CottageThe Charm of Home ~ The Girl CreativeThe Grant LifeThe NY Melrose Family ~ The Project QueenThe Southern InstituteThrifty 101 ~ Tip JunkieUnder The Table and DreamingVintage Gwen ~ Young and Crafty

Pin It

20 comments:

  1. I just LOVE this idea. Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out so lovely! Thanks for linking up <3
    Igottacreate.blogspot.com
    Spring Fling linky party

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower here, love your frame idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These came out great! Thanks for giving the tute. Stopping in to Pinterest. New follower, too.
    Take care, Linda

    http://twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I totally understand your pain with not having a cricut. I think this came out amazing! I'm so glad you stopped back over and linked this up at Whimsy Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Visiting from sundae scoop. Ohh.. I love this idea! I need some frames so I do this ASAP! Love it!

    If you get a chance I would love for you to share this at my Friday link party going on now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat idea!! Thanks for sharing!! I'll have to "pin" this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea! I found you on Randee's Organized chaos and am now following you on GFC. I'd love for you to visit my blog. Have a wonderful week!

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    PS I pinned this as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pinning for sure -- I just found a bunch of nice, detailed frames in a box that I'd forgotten about -- this would be a great way to use them up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this idea!! I found you on the Linky Party from thirtyhandmadedays. Please stop by my blog anytime. I am now a linky follower of yours! Have a blessed week!
    http://fireplacedecorating.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really like out they turned out. I so wish I had a Silhouette, sooner or later I'll have to break down and buy one. Your frames really turned out lovely. Great job! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday’s Best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this project!! TOO cute!! Thanks for linking up to SLEEPY SUNDAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Visiting from Creative Corner blog hop. Great, low cost project. I like that it could be changed seasonally.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE! So cute and there is nothing better than a more personal than using your name :) Thanks so much for sharing at Toot Your Horn Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this idea! They turned out so cute.

    Thanks so much for linking it up at our "It's a Cinch" party!

    :)

    Linda
    www.itallstartedwithpaint.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jackie--your framed letters turned out so nice! (even though you struggled through the scissors and all)
    thanks for sharing @ catch as catch can!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great project! Don't you just love ügly" goodwill frames. Great spring project. Thanks so much for sharing this at our party!
    Karah

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gotta love Goodwill transformations! What a fun project - really like the individual letters!

    So glad you joined our Cinch party.

    New Linky follower
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing project! I love this for my Easter mantel! I'm going to spell Spring! Thanks for the inspiration.

    Thanks for linking up to our party!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you!