Sunday, March 11, 2012

Cookie Sheet Bulletin Board

A new project I worked on today...a cookie sheet bulletin board.

First, the inspiration for this came from a photo on Pinterest.
Click the link below the photo to be taken to the original source.

Here is what I used for this project: A cookie sheet, can of matte spray paint, drill, a piece of scrapbook paper, some little plastic and glass embellishments, homemade mod podge (1 cup Elmer's glue mixed with 1 cup water), glue dots, green ribbon.




The first thing I did was have my husband drill 2 holes in the top of the cookie sheet. The cookie sheet is 10 inches across, so he drilled a little hole at 3 inches and one at 7 inches.


I then lightly sanded the cookie sheet and sprayed a couple coats of the matte black on it.

After that was dry, I selected a piece of scrapbook paper that I wanted to use. I bought a book of papers at Walmart for only $5.00, and it contained 25 different patterns, with 2 sheets of each pattern.  The papers are 8.5 inches by 11 inches, and that looked to fit the cookie sheet just fine, so I didn't have to cut it to size at all. Cafe au Lait is the name of the book.

Using a 1-inch foam brush, I coated the back of the paper with the glue mixture, then placed it on the cookie sheet. I smoothed out as many bubbles as I could, then I added another coat of glue over the paper and let it dry for a couple hours.


I then cut two 8.5 inch lengths of Offray ribbon. The color is Spring Moss. I used glue dots to attach the ribbon at the top and bottom of the paper.

At the corners and middle of the ribbon where I used the glue dots, I used glue dots again to attach the little leaves in the corners and add the glass marbles.


After that I cut 2 lengths of the same green ribbon, maybe 12 to 14 inches long. For each length, I folded the end and threaded it through the eye of a large needle, and then threaded them through from back to front of each hole that was drilled. I knotted each side, leaving little 'tails' to stick out.
Working with the ribbon lengths at the back of the cookie sheet, I held both of them together, and just kind of eyeballed how long of a hanger I wanted, then knotted the ribbon. Then I tied a bow, and cut the ends of each, leaving them long enough to hang down a bit.


With some of the coordinating scrapbook papers I'm going to be making some magnets for this. Here is the completed bulletin board:


I really like the way this turned out. I would love to make another one, and use 3 different coordinating papers. Please feel free to leave a comment, and let me know what you think....I love hearing from you!

Have a wonderful day! :)

Linking to these parties:



Pin It

13 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I have an old, rusted cookie sheet that I was going to get rid of. Now I have a way to recycle it.

    Karen N.
    San Diego

    ReplyDelete
  2. you forgot to add the fact that you coated the paper with mod podge. i suppose its a given, but all you said was "i coated it".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops...thanks for letting me know. I've corrected it. :)

      Delete
  3. Such a pretty bulletin board. What a great idea. It's already magnetic, I could so use this because my fridge is stainless steel and now I'd have a place to hang things that I miss. Thanks for showing us how. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best! I have featured this on my Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting my blog, featuring this on your fb page, and for the nice compliment. It was fun to make, and can be made to match any decor. I'm already planning to make another one haha! Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  4. What an adorable idea! Thanks for sharing at Manic Monday!
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really sweet idea! And I thought cookie sheets were just for baking! So glad you joined the party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This turned out fabulous. I love that you can use magnets on it. Thanks for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays at The NY Melrose Family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charming for the kitchen! Thanks so much for linking up to the "Spring Fling" party over at I Gotta Create! <3 So happy to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! And I'm feeling completely inspired :) Thanks for linking up to Pinned it, Made it #10! You've been featured :) Drop by and grab a button!

    Jennifer
    http://findingmywayintexas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your cookie sheet memo board! you did a great job. Thanks for sharing @ catch as catch can.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  11. Expert Karen Weisman takes you through the process step-by-step, from choosing the best ingredients, preparing the oven and pan, and mixing together the ingredients, to shaping and icing the cake, and preparing frosting for adding trim with a pastry bag.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you!