Monday, March 5, 2012

Rainbow Whimsy Jars

I came across this on Flickr this morning while browsing through people's photos. I wanted some as soon as I saw them.
Rainbow Whimsy

Aren't they just the cutest thing?
I love all things rainbow, and the thought of little jars with color matched doo-dads just made me all tingly inside..ha!

My grandson has started on solid foods now, so I'm accumulated a small collection of baby food jars (along with empty formula cans that have pretty much taken over an entire cabinet). Also in my hoarders cupboard are a multitude of empty toilet paper rolls....thanks to all of the crafty things I've seen people make with them on Pinterest. I've been busted on several occasions taking these things out of the garbage after someone has thrown it away. Then I get the strange looks as I sheepishly open my cupboard and add something to my stash. When asked what on earth I need this stuff for....I give my people (daughter, husband) my standard answer, "Don't question me. I have plans."

Anyway...getting back on track. I have these baby food jars, which, when I have enough, is going to be expertly assembled into the most awesome magnetic spice thing-a-ma-jig anyone has ever seen.

But for now, I grabbed 6 of them and have begun to fill them with odds and ends that I found laying around the house this morning.


Here are the few little things that I found so far for the red jar:



I will be painting the covers, but I haven't decided on what color/colors yet. Not sure if black would look good, or if I want to paint each cover to coordinate with the contents.

I'm going to put these on a shelf somewhere in the house, and let the kids add things as they find them, and once these tiny ones are filled and I find bigger things to add, I will use bigger jars, but for now I think these are a good size to start with. Miracle Whip jars would be a nice size....and I'm betting that the Dollar Store would have jars as well that could be used.

This would be a cute on-going project for kids to do. They could fill them with little trinkets and things, then display them in their rooms. It would be fun too, to dump them out once they are full to see what treasures they collected.

So for now this is what I have...and as I fill these and learn how to take better stinkin' photos, I will post an update as to how they are coming along.

Comments are always welcome...and I hope everyone has a wonderful day!  :)


Linking to:
{aka} design ~ DIY Link Party #21
{primp} ~ Primp Your Stuff Wednesday Link Party #38
A bowl full of lemons ~ Tuesday Link Party
A Diamond in the Stuff ~ Time to Shine {Party} No 59
A Glimpse Inside ~ Catch a Glimpse Party #70
At Home With K ~ Terrific Under 10 Tuesday
A Little Tipsy ~ DIY Under $5
Addicted 2 Decorating ~ Addicts (not so) Anonymous Link Party
Be Different Act Normal ~ Show and Tell Saturday
Confessions of a Stay At Home Mom ~ Tuesday Confessional Link Party
Craft-O-Maniac ~ CraftOManiac Monday
Delightful Order ~ Delightfully Inspiring Thursday Party
DIY by Design ~ Winter Blues Wednesday-It's a Party #55
Handy Man, Crafty Woman ~ Wicked Awesome Wednesday #53
Happy Hour Projects
Here Comes The Sun ~ Fabulous Friday
Homemaker on a Dime ~ Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop
homework ~The Inspiration Board: link party 40
House of Hepworths ~ Hookin Up with HoH #90
I Heart Naptime ~ Sundae Scoop Link Party
Kammy's Korner ~ Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday #22
My 1929 Charmer ~ Sunday's Best #21 Par.tay
My Girlish Whims ~ Your Whims Wednesday #49
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia ~ Tuesday's Treasures
Whipperberry ~ Friday Flair Link Party


Tip Junkie handmade projects
                                                                                   

13 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I watch a group of preschool aged girls and how much fun would they have sorting the colors into rainbow jars? Thanks for sharing. They're going to look great! You might even want to spray or brush paint the lids in their corresponding color. I'm sure the grandkids will love it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fun for them, I think they would love all the colors. And I did decide to paint each cover a different color...should be fun to see them all come together. Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. Really cute. And such a nice way to store all those small things kids have. I love it.
    Greetings from Germany
    Catrin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my blog to take a look! I can see kids having a great time filling these. Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. Love this idea!! I'm sure we have enough "stuff" in the playroom craft closet to do this with...
    ~Elena
    http://acasarella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elena, yes...they would be really cute with all kinds of 'crafty' things added. Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that photo you found and your clever jar project is really on track. I use lots of (okay, dozens, lol) bottles and jars for all my little supplies in my studio. I love to see them full of interesting stuff. You can see pics at my craft room blog post. And don't we love that jars are free?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann for the compliment, and for visiting my blog. Wow your craft room is to die for, I'm so jealous!!! I'm lucky to find some empty space at my kitchen table or counter to do stuff haha!! And I love your bookpage crafts. I blogged about a jar candle I made using book pages, and love the look of it. The chandelier you made is awesome!

      Delete
  6. Such a cute idea. My daughter loves anything with rainbows right now. I'd love it if you shared this over at Whimsy Wednesdays at www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2012/03/whimsy-wednesdays-1.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for inviting me to Whimsy Wednesday! I've added my link, and added your button to my Where I Party page so I can link up future projects with you. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you linked this up at Whimsy Wednesday at The NY Melrose Family. I look forward to seeing what you come up with next week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The photo is so inspiring, and just woke us up with this great idea. It's beyond great when you can "store" items and make that a statement of art. So very pretty. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are adorable. My son would love them. Thanks for sharing at Fabulous Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you!